As my thoughts turn to vegetopia on July 13th (Vegetiopa a celebration of the vegetable) see Facebook page
I write more about veggie dishes
SALTED BEEF CHEEK, BEETROOT & HORSERADISHINGREDIENTS
• 4 kg Trimmed Beef Cheek’s
• 1 Carrot
• 1 Onion
• 1 bunch thyme & rosemary
• 1 head garlic
• Beef Brine
• 200g Sliced Bone Marrow
• 1kg Pickled Beetroot
• Sourdough crouton
• Horseradish crème fraiche
BEEF BRINE RECIPE
2.5 litre Water
37.5g Salt Peta
2.5 bay leaves
1 bunch thyme
10g Black pepper
3g Star anise
• Place all ingredients in a pan and bring to the boil
• Remove from the heat and cool
• Brine the Prepped Cheeks for 4.5 days
• Rinse the beef cheeks and place in a pan with chopped onion carrot, thyme, rosemary, garlic, and cover with water.
• Cook in the oven at 175°C.until tender, allow to cool I the liquor then wrap in cling film individually while still warm, then cool completely and carve into 4 portions. Horseradish Crème Fraiche
• 200g Hung Crème Fraiche
• 25g Grated Horseradish
• 25g Dijon Mustard
• 100g Whipped Cream
• ½ Lemon
• Salt & Pepper
1. Mix the crème freich, horseradish, mustard and lemon together.
2. Fold in the whipped cream and season.
• 1 kg Beetroot.
• 75g Honey
• 200g Red Wine Vinegar
• Olive oil
1. Steam beets until cooked then cling film and allow to cool slightly
2. Peel beets and cut into wedges
3. Marinade the beets using the vinegars honey garlic thyme and seasoning.
4. Pour over beets while still warm and chill overnight.
5. Take some of the pickle liquor from the marinated beetroots and reduce in a pan until slightly thickened.
6. Add olive oil and a little more vinegar to make a dressing for the beetroot leaves.
1. Warm the beef cheeks up in some reserved cooking stock.
2. Lightly sauté the beetroot leaves in a pan, add the pickled beetroots and dress with the pickle dressing.
3. Put the beef cheeks on a plate with some roasted bone marrow on top, the beetroots and leaves to the side.
4. Add a generous spoon of the horseradish cream, finish with the sourdough crouton on top.